In this class, you will take skills you started to hone in earlier classes (GD1 = icons, packaging; GD2 = color; GD3 = analyzing information, systems; Type 1 = letterforms; Type 2 = grids and hierarchy; Type 3 = web design) and pull it all together in a semester-long project that asks you to research, write, document, create.
Throughout the semester we’ll also address the issue of communication design (who is your audience, what is your message?), process, and the visual representation of an idea across multiple elements in the system.
The course work for this class includes the following:
- Defining a product
- Researching how designers brand products
- Creating a profile for your product
- Exploring ideas for branding
- Developing a logo
- Refining and presenting a branding system
- Applying the branding system to packaging, a site specific display,
a responsive web site
- Documenting your process
- Documenting the branding system
The course work for this class is intensive. You are preparing for advanced study in
your field. Be prepared to work hard. To read, think, write, sketch, discuss, and revise.